Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Parental Kidnapping

If you are afraid that the other parent will take your children away without your consent, you need to take action immediately. You should meet with an attorney to see if you might be able to ask the judge to issue an emergency temporary restraining order. This type of court order will ensure that you have recourse if the other parent takes the child without your consent. The order may include that the other parent cannot take the children out of the state, or that the other parent may only have supervised visitation.

If you are in the middle of a custody case, and you fear that the other parent may take your child to another country, you may be able to ask the judge to seize the child's passport. If there is no ongoing case, you may be forced to file the earlier mentioned temporary restraining order, if you qualify, and ask the judge to hold the child's passport as part of that case.

If the child does not have a passport but you fear the other parent may apply for one for the child, the State Department has a program called the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program. The program is explained as follows:

"The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) is one of the Department’s most important tools for preventing international parental child abduction. The program allows parents to register their U.S. citizen children under the age of 18 in the Department’s Passport Lookout System. If a passport application is submitted for a child who is registered in CPIAP, the Department contacts and alerts the parent or parents. The passport lookout system gives all U.S. passport agencies as well as U.S. embassies and consulates abroad an alert on a child’s name if a parent or guardian registers an objection to passport issuance for his or her child. This procedure provides parents advance warning of possible plans for international travel with the child."See the State Department's Child Abduction Prevention page for more information.

You should take note, that if your child has dual citizenship, then s/he may be able to travel out of the country on the passport issued by the foreign country. The State Department cannot regulate passports from a different country, so you may want to contact that country's embassy or consulate to ask if they have a similar program. You will find contact information for embassies and consulates at under Country Specific Information on the top right-hand corner of the screen.

If you or someone you know is going through a situation involving the potential for child abduction and simply want to implement the necessary precautions, contact an attorney today. Don't wait until it's too late!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone!  We will never forget those who have fallen fighting for our freedom.

Remember, this weekend is particularly notorious for law enforcement being out in full force.  Know your rights and your responsibilities.  Everyone have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Warm Welcome

Justin Jones Law would like to extend a very warm welcome to the newest member of our law firm team, Mr. Erich Jerscheid. Mr. Jerscheid is a law student at Mississippi College School of Law and will be joining us as a Law Clerk. We are honored to have him as a part of our team. Welcome aboard!

Check out our new website!

Hello Everyone!

I hope you all are having a wonderful week so far! Just a quick update to let you all know our new law firm website is up & running. We've made the website much more convenient for you to utilize and navigate. Go have a look!

You may access our website by clicking here.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Beware of the Inexperienced Attorney

Unfortunately, the economy has forced many attorneys to take on clients with cases in areas of law they would otherwise not have ever considered. Often times, they are attempting an area of law vastly different from what they typically practice. Although the ethical rules do not prohibit an attorney from taking cases in practice areas that are not familiar to them, a wise decision when seeking legal representation is to hire an attorney that practices in the area of law of your problem.

Legal scenarios are as unique as everyone’s lives, and it takes time to develop the experience and expertise to properly address the nuances of each case. There is no one defining characteristic of a good attorney, and great attorneys come from all walks of life.

Making sure your attorney has the necessary experience to handle your case is more important now than ever since there are so many attorneys in the field. Mistakes can be devastating, and are easily avoided by choosing the right attorney for your particular case. A good attorney has dedicated themselves to the field, and has the track record and reputation to prove their skills to be successful.

Good attorneys can think on their feet, asses the uniqueness of each situation, and come up with a legally sound strategy that protects your children, your assets, and your future as best as possible, while simultaneously ensuring that you comply with the law.

Justin Jones Law is dedicated to serving your needs, and assessing your personal situation to provide you with the most effective and best legal representation. For a free consultation or case evaluation, call our legal team today at 601-499-5292, or visit our website

Black Farmers Settlement - Video - WAPT Jackson

Justin Jones Law is currently representing individuals in the Black Farmers Settlement litigation. If you or someone you know may have a claim, or questions about your rights, please give us a call at 601-499-5292 for a free case evaluation.

You may watch the video below provided by WAPT, and also click on the link below that will guide you to the webpage with more information regarding the Black Farmers Settlement.

Video: Black Farmers To Get Settlement - Video - WAPT Jackson

Click here for the webpage with more information regarding Black Farmers Settlement.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Sneak Preview of the New Firm

Hallway leading into waiting/ rest area with filing room in the background
More seating area in an office
The Main Office of Attorney Justin Jones
Decor and, Law Clerk, Lindsay Bethea's Certified Notary Public Accreditation
Candelabra in the hallway outside of the kitchen area
Waiting/ Rest Area
Attorney Justin Jones hard at work, while his Law Clerk snaps photos.


These pictures are just a sneak preview into the new firm location. We now have four spacious offices, a foyer/rest area, a conference room, kitchen area & restroom, and the determination to make your law firm experience comfortable, pleasurable, and one of a kind. As always, we guarantee quality representation and genuine concern. We are on a constant quest for improvement, expertise, and meeting your personal needs at Justin Jones Law.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Justin Jones Law: New Firm Location

We have now reached our 1 year law firm anniversary, and are finally settled into our new location.  The new firm is much more spacious, convenient, and designed with you, our clientele, in mind. Justin Jones Law offers the boutique law firm experience, and it is our goal to provide you with comfort and reassurance while we pay careful attention to your case.  Our offices may be expanding, but our motto remains to provide you with the quality representation and genuine concern you deserve.  

 612 Highway 51, Suite B, Ridgeland, MS 39157

The new firm is in the Allegrezza Piano shopping center on Highway 51 in Ridgeland, MS next to Protea Dekor, Blue Boutique, and Crawdaddy's. Please call us today to set up your free consultation at 601-499-5292., or visit our website at  

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Child Support: What Parents Need to Know

Cases involving money, divorce, and children can be the most painful and emotional of all. Child support cases involve all three of these issues and therefore the table is set for an emotionally charged proceeding. Parents involved in a child support case, whether as a custodial parent or a non-custodial parent, should be aware of laws to protect yourself and prepare for any potential changes in your situation. Knowing the laws and the responsibilities of each party can help alleviate and avoid potential conflicts.

Paying child support is a very serious responsibility and the courts do not take the responsibility lightly. Unwillingness to pay child support can result in a wage withholding order against your salary and even land you in jail. It is important to note that a parent’s responsibility to pay child support is to the child and does not extend to the not to the ex-spouse or other parent. Therefore, a change in marital status by either party or the birth of additional children in a subsequent marriage may not affect the original obligation. In addition, a custodial parent cannot deny visitation to the other parent for any reason, including late support payments.

In Mississippi, child support responsibilities usually end when the child turns 21 years of age, gets married, enters the military, or becomes self-supporting. In some instances, when the child reaches the age of 18 and forgoes full-time enrollment in school, cohabits with another person without the approval of the paying parent or is incarcerated for more than 2 years the court can decide to suspend the parents child support obligation. All of the described scenarios encompass what is known as emancipation. A paying parent can also seek a reduction in their child support payments if their salary decreases or there is an inability to pay. Conversely, the court may order an increase in child support payments if the salary increases substantially.

Although the presumption favoring the mother has eroded and the case law of Mississippi has placed the father on a level plating field, most divorce courts award custody of any children to the mother. As the custodial parent, the mother has the legal responsibility to assure that all the father’s child support payments benefit the child, not herself. It is important to note that any and all modifications to a child support arrangement must take place through the courts and not by a verbal agreement between the parties. A mother may ask the courts for additional support money from the father as the child ages, to adjust for inflation, or because of a child’s increased medical expenses.

While awareness of the finer points of the law are important, a mother and father should remember above all else that each has a moral and legal responsibility to their child. The law recognizes that just as both mother and father were involved in the creation of the child, both parents, should actively participate in the support and care of that child. You should always seek advice from an experienced Mississippi Family Law Attorney that specializes in Child Support and Child Custody.